For the next Creating and Presenting topic we are looking at the concept of ‘Survival’. In preparation for this, and to practice a wider range of styles of writing naturally about this topic we are going to be doing some blogging together as a class. To start off with we will write a short article looking at coping with difficult circumstances.
To begin with, answer questions 1-4 together in small groups, discussing possible answers. Please keep a note of your own answers and any other answers you think are interesting.
1. What do you think is meant by survival?
2. What do you think might be the hardest thing to survive, either emotionally or physically?
3. Do you know of any real life survivors of the circumstances you suggested?
4. How do you think they were able to survive?
Once the first 4 questions have been discussed, and the initial notes have been recorded we will go to the computer lab to do some more research into the topic and to begin blogging:
5. Look online for other examples of people that have survived similar circumstances. You might find stories in the news, on blogs or on YouTube. Read / listen to those stories carefully and take note of anything that is suggested helped them to survive.
6. Collate all of this and write a brief article detailing how people might survive the circumstances you suggested.
You will need a WordPress.com user account (You do not need to start a blog, just set up a user account by following the link). Please set one up using your school email address. Please enter your username as Firstname+InitialofSurname, eg JacksonB. Once you have set up an account I can send you an invitation to become a contributor to the blog. Let me know when you are set up.